Thank you for your interest in the Almaden Valley Athletic Club! Team AVAC is known throughout the Bay Area as a “work hard, play hard” group that does whatever it takes for each other and our community. COVID has certainly tested every bit of that philosophy 24/7 for over a year. We sustained, and we have emerged stronger than ever having proved just how far we’ll go for the health and safety of our team, our families, and our business.
Here's a snapshot of why AVAC hasn’t stopped moving since 1976, and how 2020 was no different:
• Within 48 hours of shelter-in-place our 24 best classes were online and exclusive to AVAC member
• April our loyal members were rewarded with unlimited online class content, majorly discounted personal training, meal prep from our chef, a loyalty credit, and complete flexibility with their memberships
• With PPP loan secured, Team AVAC’s employment was prioritized, vendors were paid on time, and AVAC honored its core value of fiscal responsibility
• By June we had collaborated with every club and swim school in the area, hosted SJ Police Chief Eddie Garcia to witness the newer, safer AVAC, and were among the first to reopen tennis with COVID-ready protocols
• July saw the addition of 15,000 square feet of outdoor fitness—fully covered, powered, and lighted
• In August, AVAC® caught the attention of local news outlets for not only our online school support camps, but our collaboration with local districts, principals, and parents to ensure our community’s children’s needs were met.
• Inspection after inspection, formal audits as well as our own—zero COVID-19 exposures have been linked to AVAC® and we maintain a disinfection standard consistently higher than required by County and State
• AVAC Swim School® participated in a successful lobby of California and Santa Clara to finally recognize drowning prevention services, such as our own, as essential
• We became one of the Bay Area’s only licensed NinjaZone programs for kids
At AVAC, our service philosophy is to deliver VIP service and treat our members like family. We only hire folks who are passionate about serving others, who hustle to make others happy, who strive for constant improvement, who understand what it means to be “on stage,” and who know how to check their personal baggage at the door. In this industry, we work so that others may play. That means early mornings, late nights, weekends, & occasionally last minute schedule changes.
Serving others is demanding work. Our Mission: AVAC is your family-owned favorite place for swim, tennis, fitness, & community. In order to meet our Mission, members of Team AVAC must train constantly to improve service skills. This means initial 20+ hours of training, regular supervisor & peer feedback, coaching sessions, staff meetings, & trainings year-round. Team AVAC never stops training.
A minimum of 8 hours per week is required to work here, as well as weekend availability, attendance at regularly scheduled meetings and trainings, and a perpetually up-to-date CPR/AED certificate. Specialized positions such as lifeguards, fitness coaches, swim/tennis teachers and child care require further certifications and background checks.
Team AVAC enjoys an upbeat, constantly busy, & friendly work environment. We come to work every day knowing we’re going to be amongst friends and without cubicles. All staff receive an AVAC Fitness Membership, significant discounts on all AVAC services, paid sick time, discounted child care, team building & staff development. Full time staff are eligible for medical, dental, SIMPLE IRA with employer matching, & discounted AVAC memberships for family.
But most of all…Team AVAC prides itself on its culture. We are a work hard play hard group who are loyal to our team & our community. Together we have our kids meet up for play dates, we run races, we volunteer, we go hiking, we celebrate life events, & so much more. Our Management Team of 13 has an average of 13 years of service to AVAC each!
Looking for an Internship? We have partnered with San Jose State, San Francisco State, West Valley College, and others to provide learning and growth opportunities for students & recent grads. Previous successful internships at AVAC have been in the areas of Marketing, Business Administration, Public Relations, Recreation, and Kinesiology. AVAC has experience being a qualified provider of internships for accredited universities, offering a professional environment & setting up learning objectives, as well as transitioning internships into professions.